Oven Baked Chicken Kabobs
12 wooden skewers
4 extra large boneless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup Russian salad dressing
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 -3 small zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch chunks
16 ounces whole fresh mushrooms
2 -3 assorted bell peppers, cut into chunks
1 large red onion, cut into chunks
1 -2 lb mini baby red potato, sliced into 1/2-inch chunks
1 pint small tomato
- Soak 12 wooden skewers in water overnight so they won’t burn in the oven.
- Place uncooked cubed chicken in a 9×13 pan.
- Mix all marinate ingredients together (soy sauce, Russian dressing, sesame seeds, lemon juice, garlic powder, ground ginger) and brush over chicken (use all of the marinate sauce). Cover with wrap and place in refrigerator. Allow to marinate 4-6 hours, save the marinate sauce as you will be using it later to baste the kabobs.
- Cut up all veggies in to 1/2″ slices or chunks ( not the baby tomatoes or whole mushrooms).
- Alternate your assorted veggies on the skewers with the marinated meat. fill those skewers! the more on the skewer, the more satisfied you will be. we find two (2) skewers per person is more than enough.
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Place skewers on greased jelly roll pans (i use Pam spray) or any lipped baking pans to catch any drippings. approximately 5-6 kabobs should fit on each pan depending on the pan size and skewer length. baste each skewer with the marinate sauce — use it all up!
- Place the basted skewers in the pre-heated 450 degree oven on the center rack. bake for 10 minutes, turn over once. bake for 10-15 minutes longer (20-30 minutes maximum of baking time total depending on size of chicken chunks). check chicken on a few of the skewers to make sure it is thoroughly cooked; also, if using potatoes, check them for doneness. If chicken is not completely cooked, bake an additional 5-10 minutes longer than noted above.
- Remove the kabobs from the oven and let sit a few minutes. serve with a side of wild rice and mixed greens salad.